Kent Historical Museum is located in the “Bereiter House” at 855 East Smith St, across from Earth Works Park.
Parking is at the rear via East Temperance St. Disability Parking is available, and an accessible path leads to through the grounds to the front entrance.
The Blue Star Memorial By-Way is a tribute to the Armed Forces of America.
The Carriage House / Barn is the temporary home for the carving of the Indigenous “Welcome figure” by Mike Evans, a Native carver.
Along the pathway are historic plaques with a map of the early river boat landings along the Green River.
Another time, Another Place is the Stuart S. Nakamura memorial to the Japanese American legacy in the White River Valley.
From the pathway, there is an ADA compliant ramp up to the front porch. There is a walkway from the sidewalk to the steps at the front of the house.
A self-guide tour of the interior of the house is available by following the labels posted in the rooms and hallways. The following is a sampling of what you may find on the tour.
Through the welcoming front door, you enter the entry hall. Note the openness and the wide staircase to the 2nd floor.
The first room on the right is Mr. Bereiter’s office, where the current GKHS staff work. An early 20 th century desk with a vintage typewriter and telephone are displayed on top.
The first room on the left is a traditional Parlor. This room showcases various musical instruments available in the early 20 th century: Grand player piano from 1925, a 1910 Victrola record player, a Reed Organ, and a Dulcimer Organette.
The dining room feature a Duncan Phyfe table from the Neely – Soames house and Hollow ware on the side table.
There is a rail around the dining room where the period dishes are displayed. Stemware is displayed on the sideboard in the nook.
This room is set for breakfast for two, with a period highchair.
A Kitchen Queen cabinet with baking utensils and equipment is on the right leading into the kitchen. The kitchen was remodeled in the 1960s.
The Back Porch display early 20 th century domestic tools. Note the early washing machine, various carpet cleaners, irons and a pressing machine. On the opposite side is an ice box, stove, and refrigerator.
The hallway exhibits include the Boeing Lunar Rover and the Danny Pierce artwork.
The bathroom features early 20 th century fixtures including a large tub and pedestal sink. An electric curling machine produced permanent waves and curls on women’ hair.
Ft. Thomas replica and the Lilly Steamboat model exhibited in the small room next to the Lunar Rover Display.
Rotating exhibits are featured in the community room. Current exhibits – Kent Churches, Carnation Milk Co.,1955 Soapbox Derby.
The master bedroom is filled with interesting furnishing, including a treadle sewing machine and a Coats and Clark thread storage/display box. The room features a story of quilting.
The children’s room features books and toys from the 20th century that would have been common to the children of Kent.
This small front room had many uses. Today it is decorated as a den and displays images of the early Kent downtown.
Morrill Bank Display in the hallway includes a glass cabinet with bank notes, a pay machine, and Mr. Morrill’s personal affects. There are photographs of the Bank in the hallway and a Kent Post Office window.
Shared History Room contains two exhibits: Local Indigenous stories told through artifacts and Indigenous art.
Stories of the Kent area Japanese American Community.
The attic was used as a family game room with pool table and card table. The attic is not open to the public.